Monday, November 25, 2013

This boy ...


I need to take lessons is creative blog titling.  Do they exist?  I could sit for an hour trying to think of the perfect title to each post and I still end up with nothing.  Whatever.

This post is actually about this boy and his stomach.  I'm at a loss.  Both of the girls had some sort of sensitivity to milk.  They were both on formula until they were 18 months old.  Both had reflux.  Both still have issues with it.

So, the boy is just doing his brotherly duty and following in his big sisters footsteps.  He's had reflux.  He's on Zantac 3 times a day.  He was on formula.  Then he seemed to tolerate drinking Lactaid pretty well.  I went straight to Lactaid because that's what the girls drink.  I stuck with it for 2 weeks and the entire time he had a crazy runny nose.  So I switched him to Almond Milk.  Now he's had diarrhea for a whole week.  Back on formula we are.  Yes, I'm queen of switching things, but I also believe that if something doesn't work, you make a change. 

See the rash around his mouth too?  It's not that noticeable in this picture, of course.  It's typically really red and bumpy.  He's had that for about 3 months now.  It comes and goes in severity, but it's always there.  I blame it on the thumb sucking.  But now I'm wondering if the rash paired with the diarrhea is some sort of food intolerance. 

I've always just gone with my gut.  And typically, when it comes to my children, my gut has been right.  Not always, but usually.  And my gut says that something isn't right.  He's the pickest of all picky eaters.  He already doesn't eat any dairy.  He eats a lot of fruit, but I've limited those. 

I'm seriously at a loss.  And I'm not a fan of going to the doctor for him to tell me "it's just a phase" or "let it work it's course".  That's 20 bones I could pocket.  So, you play doctor.  Tell me what you would do if this cute boy was yours.  (No, he's not for sale.)

1 comment:

  1. I would eliminate all dairy and wheat/gluten and go from there slowly reintroducing foods. Cason had pretty bad eczema which finally turned out to be a mild egg allergy. Sometimes food allergies take a while to build up before the symptoms appear so even though he'd been eating for a little while just fine it was still the cause.

    ReplyDelete